Saturday, June 21, 2008

Dollop of a Dream...


The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine

Travel and change of place impart new vigour to the mind, body and soul. And personally travel is one of my deepest desires. The very concept of traveling to unknown places, discovering new people, new cultures, new ideologies, new dogmas, faiths and languages gets me thrilled. Stagnant at a single place, one remains unaware of the life and living of their counterparts in the other half of the world. While if you travel you get to unravel the intricate mysteries of life’s existence in places other than yours. This infact I’ve inherited from my parents I guess, they have managed to maintain a perfect balance between their work and travel, inspite of stupendously busy schedules they did travel in vacations. That’s my father’s only addiction he says. I blissfully have been to most of the places my parents have traveled…this slowly but steadily infused in me the desire to head for new destinations…

There is another interesting dimension to this, Nature……specially mountainous terrains, fast running brooks, steep gorges, gurgling water falls, hilly folk tunes……they turn me on !

How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!

During our 24 X 7 run in the fast moving city, we miss out on man’s closest associate since times immemorial. This broad divide between rural and urbanized infrastructure has reduced nature only to urban man’s dektop wallpaper. But being in company with nature is enchantingly charming……more romantic than the most romantic saga on the silver screen. Being in the city the closest I’ve been to nature is …

A walk in the terrace before the sun rise, I’ve watched the sun leave its hidden world below the horizon and light up this half of the world. Being in India we are one of the foremost people to welcome the sun……and those moments have been special……the temperature being the day’s minimum and the air having a maddening essence of freshness.

A draining summer afternoon giving way to dark nimbus clouds and gusty winds……..that’s the Kalbaishakhi or Norwes’tors ! It is indeed a natural marvel, brings down the temperature and hence a relief for the thirsty earth.

That has been my intimacy with nature here in the city, but I dream of yet more !

I dream of being far far away from this maddening crowd, in a place that still holds its essence, still clings to what God had given it, where you aren’t stressed out running life’s race but where you enjoy life’s lucid flow.

These are of course dollops of a dream of the sub conscious mind, in actuality it’s a true juxtaposition….I’m heading for a even faster city…Bangalore !

No comments: